So this isn’t a very well thought out, yet, consider this post a bit of a brainstorm…one I want you to participate in.
Yesterday during my day job I attended a webinar that featured Guy Kawasaki (famous for Alltop.com among many other things). During his talk he mentioned Google Hangouts on Air (he also mentioned Alltop/Adoption!). I must admit to a general avoidance of Google Plus and nearly all other Google thingees (other than the search engine, of course). I wont go into the reasons for my avoidance (at least not in this post). The reasons are not relevant. What is relevant is that as a result of my avoidance, I was not familiar with Google Hangouts On Air. First, for reference, a “Hangout” is where you start a video chat with up to 9 people with Hangouts on Google+. Think, say, instant messenger chat with 8 of your friends all chatting together only with the added benefit of video and audio. Now, to Hangouts on Air. From their page:
Hangouts On Air lets you:
- Broadcast a hangout: Invite circles or individual people to join you in a hangout, then broadcast it to the world. A live player of your hangout will be posted to your Google+ Home page and YouTube channel.
- Edit and share the recorded hangout: Your hangout will be recorded as a public video and will be available on your Home page once your hangout has ended. You’ll also be able to edit the recording when the hangout is over. If you edit your video, your post (including the video URL) will automatically be updated to show the edited version.
So, with that in mind, I am thinking…perhaps a roundtable discussion type of hangout? Maybe on a monthly basis? I would be happy to “moderate” or schedule and communicate. I am firm believer in the idea that we must use all channels possible – written, verbal, face to face, audio, video, etc. as part of our efforts to make change in adoption. What I like about the idea of Hangouts on Air is that the video/audio portion HUMANIZES us. We will not be words on a blog but a voice, a face, a live human being.
Some possible topics:
- Navigating the Non-Reunion: How to Keep Your Heart Open When The Door Has Been Closed
- Adoption Reunion Search Tips
- Going Grey: Stories from Individuals Separated by Grey Market Baby Brokers (I see this as some of my friends from ehbabes)
- Special Guest Interviews – Adoption Bloggers, Authors, Movie Producers
- Informed or Deformed Consent: Can a Mother Really Make an Informed Decision?
- Voice Of Collateral Damage: Partners of Adoption Effected Individuals Share
To participate, you likely need to be a bit more technical than the average bear. What I mean by this is that you need to have something that can record audio and video. Say an iPad or a desktop with a web cam and audio.
Please ask questions, suggest a format or approach, and more importantly, if you might be willing to participate. (I have already planted a seed with Claud and I am fairly certain I can get her on board for at least one hangout!) If I get some interest, I will send a private email to interested parties and we will plan more thoroughly together!
Thanks for considering.