"I am only one, But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." – Helen Keller
2007 was an incredibly successful year for the members of ehbabes.com and its associated online support group. Together, as a united force of mothers and adopted adults, we are proud to claim the following successes:
- We reunited six mothers with their children. All six reunions have been positive. No one denied contact.
- Support group membership increased by 25%.
- Easter House Reunited Mother, Suz Bednarz, spoke at the Adoption Ethics and Accountablity Conference sponsored by The Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute and Ethica, Inc.
- Reunited Easter House adoptee, Jean Provance, and her partner formed One Voice, No Secrets. The organization is dedicated to changing the face of adoption in the United States. The organization sponsored the "I Vote!" campaign to raise awareness of the need for open records in adoption.
- Easter House Mother in Reunion, Mary Garvens, elected Secretary of OriginsUSA.
- American Friends of Children Mother, Dr. Bernadette Wright, elected President of OriginsUSA.
- Easter House Reunited Mother, Suz Bednarz, and American Friends of Children Mother, Dr. Bernadette Wright, participated in the making of the Real Mothers video.
- We organized three support drives for mothers in need. Two were for expectant or new young mothers considering surrender due to lack of support (financial, material and emotional). The group provided emotional support and sent car seats, clothing, food and baby gifts to the mother in Ohio and Colorado. The second mother was a new single mom who had recently lost her job. While waiting for her food stamps and social welfare to come through, the group sent boxes of food, gift cards, holiday gifts to her and her 5 month old child. Two of the babies are still with their mothers. The third was surrendered to a kinship adoption.
As Margaret Mead said “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”